Sleep apnea is a disorder in which a patient’s breathing is interrupted during sleep. In this, the breathing of a person stops and resumes repeatedly while he sleeps. Patients suffering from severe sleep apnea cannot get complete breath cycles resulting in deficient intake of oxygen. Such patients also feel tired and un-energetic even after a long course of sleep.
Sleep apnea is observed as a common disorder among patients of almost all age groups. If you too are suffering from this ailment and are worried about this, please follow this blog till the end. Here Dr. Rahul Agarwal suggests the best treatments of sleep apnea that are time tested and result oriented.
Dr. Rahul Agarwal is a highly qualified, acclaimed and best ENT specialist in Gwalior with experience of more than a decade; he has a record of performing several highly critical surgeries successfully. He is the first doctor to bring CO2 laser surgeries for ENT in Gwalior.
According to Dr. Rahul Agarwal, milder cases of sleep apnea can be handled easily just by adopting few changes in daily life like quitting cigarettes, losing weight, exercising, etc. In cases where nasal allergy is the cause, specific treatment of that particular allergy is required.
Apart from this Dr. Agarwal also suggests following therapies that provide the perfect treatment for sleep apnea.
- CPAP or continuous positive air pressure is a device that prevents apnea and snoring by keeping the air pressure greater than that of surrounding. CPAP is helpful in most severe cases but is generally suggested for the moderate ones.
- Certain oral appliances that are customized to keep throat open can also be used. These appliances bring the jaw forward keeping throat open.
- Supplemental oxygen while sleeping also helps especially in the cases of central sleep apnea.
- Adaptive servo-ventilation or ASV is an airflow device that records the normal breathing pattern of the patient and stores it in a built-in computer. Further, this recorded pattern is utilized to stabilize the breathing of the patient when he falls asleep.
- Besides these therapies there exist surgical methods that cure sleep apnea permanently but according to Dr. Rahul Agarwal, surgery should be used as a last resort when all the above therapies fail to treat.
- Tissue removal is a process in which doctor removes the tissue present between backward portion of mouth and the upper region of throat.
- Tissue shrinkage involves removal of tissue present between the rear mouth and backward region of throat by using radiofrequency ablation.
- Jaw repositioning is a method in which the jaw is moved forward enhancing space between tongue and soft palate.
The ENT department of AHRI Gwalior offers the best treatment for sleep apnea of all kinds. The department has the best squad of highly qualified and well-experienced doctors accompanied by a well-trained team of medical professionals, who are focused to treat their patients with utmost care. The center is well-equipped with all the latest technological advancements which ensure the most accurate treatment.