ENT problems — those that impact the ear, nose and throat — can affect anyone at any age. There are many different ways that this part of the body can be affected and some are easier to cope with than others. If you’re struggling with ENT symptoms then the first step is always going to be to identify the issue and, if necessary, to get some help with it — these are the most common ENT problems to look out for.
- Ear infections. An ear infection is often the result of the cold and flu virus but can also result from water in the ear. It’s essential to know the difference between ear pain that is the result of an infection (which could require antibiotics) and ear pain caused by allergies. An ear infection will also make you feel irritable, could stop you from sleeping and cause a fever.
- Vertigo. When you suffer from vertigo it feels like the room is turning or spinning. This is often caused by an inner ear problem, such as acute labyrinthitis or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
- Allergies. Millions of people are affected by allergies, from pollen to dust. Allergies can cause long-term problems with the ear, nose and throat and need to be dealt with by an ENT allergist. ENT problems caused by allergies often look like headaches, coughing, runny nose and sneezing.
- Tonsillitis. If your main symptom is inflammation in the throat then tonsillitis could be to blame. It is the result of a bacterial infection and also tends to cause bad breath, a fever, a white coating on the tonsils, swollen glands and problems swallowing. Repeated tonsillitis may lead to having tonsils removed surgically.
- Sleep apnea. This happens when only a limited amount of air can get to your lungs at night. It can stop you breathing in your sleep which is both dangerous and very debilitating as we all need sleep to recover and recharge. Other symptoms of sleep apnea include choking sounds, morning headaches, memory loss, snoring and pauses in breathing.
- Hearing loss. Many people experience a degree of hearing loss as they get older and this can be a common ENT problem. Loud noises tend to age the ears faster. Working with an ENT specialist can give you access to tools such as hearing aids.
- A sinus infection. This often presents as similar to the common cold but is caused by bacteria and will often require antibiotic treatment. A sinus infection usually comes with other symptoms, such as teeth pain, a headache, coughing, fever, congestion and discoloured nasal discharge.
- Acid reflux. This occurs when stomach acid rises up into the esophagus. It can be very uncomfortable as it causes heartburn. Treatment is often simple and may involve medication and/or changes to diet.
- Cancer. Some ENT problems may be caused by cancer, such as tumours in the ear canal, nose, larynx or pharynx. Cancers in the mouth are often associated with smoking.
This blog contains a comprehensive introduction to such symptoms by Dr. S R Agrawal. Dr. S R Agrawal is the best ENT specialist in Gwalior currently heading the ENT wing at AHRI. Dr. Agarwal is one of the most acclaimed ENT surgeons in India who has been serving his patients for over five decades. Pioneered in almost all the verticals of ENT treatments, Dr. S R Agarwal holds experience in conducting over 100+ successful surgeries.
Dr. S R Agrawal observed lumps in necks of patients suffering from ENT cancers. These lumps are common in ENT cancers of all types. Most lumps developing in neck are not cancer-causing but if such a lump sustains for more than two weeks, it must get medically examined. Besides this nosebleeds also occur in nose cancer usually when the bleeding takes place continuously but in small quantities.
According to Dr. S R Agrawal, ulcers or severe swelling in mouth that is not recovered within a week can also be a sign of ENT cancer. Hoarseness of voice takes place in case of cancer in the voice box. Besides voice box, it can be a symptom of thyroid cancer as well. Difficulty in swallowing or a sense of obstruction in the throat comes out to be an indication of throat cancer.
For more information please visit : AHRI GWALIOR